President Pranab Mukherjee said on Tuesday that Indian films truly reflected the Indian character of unity and diversity and felt the overseas market held great potential for them, given the growing interest in the Indian film industry around the world.
President Pranab Mukherjee presenting the Best Actress Award to Kangana Ranaut at the National Film Awards ceremony in New Delhi, on May 3, 2016.
President Pranab Mukherjee today said Indian films truly reflected the Indian character of unity and diversity.
Speaking after presenting the National Film Awards for 2015 here, he said that, with a growing world audience who were attracted towards Indian films and the increasing presence of Indian films in different parts of the world, the overseas market held great potential for the Indian film industry.
He said it was heartening to note that the revenue from overseas theatrical releases had witnessed an increase of 11.5 percent from Rs. 8.6 billion in 2014 to Rs. 9.6 billion in 2015.
He complimented the composition of Award winners in the National Film Awards which included new comers as well as legends of Indian cinema. He said that the Awards this year reflected all aspects of cinema including digitization and technology.
The President also conferred this year’s Dadasaheb Phalke Award for 2015 -- the top honour in Indian cinema to well-known film actor and director Manoj Kumar, who in his heydays had acquired the image of a patriotic hero. He was honoured for his outstanding contribution to the growth and development of the industry.
A total of 21 awards were given by the President in the Non-Feature Films category while the number of awards in Feature Films category being 51. Three awards were given for Best Writing on Cinema.
In the Feature Film category, the award for the Best Feature Film was given to Baahubali, produced by Shobu Yarlagadda and Arka Mediaworks Pvt Ltd. and directed by S.S Rajamouli.
Masaan directed by Neeraj Ghaywan and produced by Phantom Films received the Indira Gandhi Award for Best Debut Film of a Director. The Award for the Best Popular Film providing Wholesome Entertainment was given to Bajrangi Bhaijaan (Hindi) directed by Kabir Khan.
The award for the Best Film on Social Issues was given to Nirnayakam produced by Jairaj Films and directed by VK Prakash.
The award for the Best Director was conferred on Sanjay Leela Bansali for the Film Baajirao Mastani (Hindi).
Megastar Amitabh Bachchan won the award for the Best Actor for the film Piku (Hindi) and the award for the Best Actress was conferred on Kangana Ranaut for her double role in Tanu weds Manu Returns (Hindi). The award for the Best Children's Film was given to Duronto (Hindi) produced by Code Red Films. Gaurav Menon was conferred the award for Best Child Artiste for Ben (Malayalam).
Baahubali was chosen for the top award for being an imaginative film and monumental in its production values and cinematic brilliance in creating a fantasy world on screen.
Bachchan got the award for his delightful, delectable performance of a man who finally lets himself go, at the age of seventy, while Ranaut was chosen for her dynamic portrayal of two contrasting characters, laced with mirth and charm.
Ranaut, who had won the Best Actress award last year, too, for her role in Hindi film "Queen", has achieved the rare distinction of winning the top honour for the second year in a row.
Bhansali was given the award for his masterful handling of all aspects of the medium of cinema to weave a tragic love story within a grand historic drama.
Samuthirakan got the award for the Best Supporting Actor award for the film Visaranaai. The award for best supporting actress was given to Tanvi Azmi for her role in Bajirao Mastani.
Dr. Rajakumar Samagra Charithre was chosen for the Best Book on Cinema award. The Best Film Critic award went to Meghachandra Kongbam who interprets the world of Indian cinema for his readers in Manipuri.
This year's National Film Awards included a special award given to the state of Gujarat for being the most film friendly state in the country.
The following is the full list of awards:
1. BEST FEATURE FILM: BAAHUBALI -- Producer: SHOBU YARLAGADDA and ARKA MEDIAWORKS (P) LTD., Director : S.S RAJAMOULI
2. INDIRA GANDHI AWARD FOR BEST DEBUT FILM OF A DIRECTOR: MASAAN -- Producer: PHANTOM FILMS, Director : NEERAJ GHAYWAN
3. BEST POPULAR FILM PROVIDING WHOLESOME ENTERTAINMENT: BAJRANGI BHAIJAAN -- Producer: SALMA KHAN, SALMAN KHAN, ROCKLINE VENKTESH, Director : KABIR KHAN
4. NARGIS DUTT AWARD FOR BEST FEATURE FILM ON NATIONAL INTEGRATION: NANAK SHAH FAKIR -- Producer:
GURBANI MEDIA PVT. LTD.
5. BEST FILM ON SOCIAL ISSUES: NIRNAYAKAM -- Producer: JAIRAJ FILMS, Director : V.K PRAKASH
6. BEST FILM ON ENVIRONMENT CONSERVATION/PRESERVATION: VALIYA CHIRAKULLA PAKSHIKAL -- Producer: ANANTHAKRISHNA PILLAI, Director : DR. BIJU
7. BEST CHILDREN’S FILM: DURONTO -- Producer: CODE RED FILMS, Director : SOUMENDRA PADHI
8. BEST DIRECTION: BAJIRAO MASTANI -- DIRECTOR: SANJAY LEELA BANSALI
9. BEST ACTOR: PIKU -- AMITABH BACHCHAN
10. BEST ACTRESS: TANU WEDS MANU RETURNS -- KANGANA RANAUT
11. BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: VISAARANAI -- SAMUTHIRAKANI
12. BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: BAJIRAO MASTANI -- TANVI AZMI
13. BEST CHILD ARTISTE: BEN -- GAURAV MENON
14. BEST MALE PLAYBACK SINGER: KATYAR KALIJAT GHUSLI -- MAHESH KALE
15. BEST FEMALE PLAYBACK SINGER: DUM LAGA KE HAISA -- MONALI THAKUR, SONG: MOH MOH KE DHAGE
16. BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: BAJIRAO MASTANI -- SUDEEP CHATERJEE
17. BEST SCREENPLAY:
i) Screenplay Writer (Original): PIKU and TANU WEDS MANU RETURN -- JUHI CHATURVEDI and HIMANSHU SHARMA
ii) Screenplay Writer (Adapted): TALVAR -- VISHAL BHARDWAJ
iii) Dialogues: PIKU and TANU WEDS MANU RETURN -- JUHI CHATURVEDI and HIMANSHU SHARMA
18. BEST AUDIOGRAPHY
i) Location Sound Recordist: TALWAR -- SANJAY KURIAN
ii) Sound Designer: BAJIRAO MASTANI -- BISWADEEP CHATTERJEE
iii) Re-recordist of the final mixed track: BAJIRAO MASTANI -- JUSTIN GOSE
19. BEST EDITING: VISAARANAI -- LATE KISHORE T.E
20. BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN: BAJIRAO MASTANI -- SHRIRAM IYENGAR, SALONI DHATRAK and SUJEET SAWANT
21. BEST COSTUME DESIGNER: NANAK SHAH FAKIR -- PAYAL SALUJA
22. BEST MAKE-UP ARTIST: NANAK SHAH FAKIR -- PREETISHEEL G SINGH AND CLOVER WOOTTON
23. BEST MUSIC DIRECTION:
a) Songs: ENNU NINTE MOIDEEN -- M JAYACHANDRAN, SONG:KAATHIRUNNU KAATHIRUNNU
b) Background Score: THAARAI THAPPATTAI -- ILAIYARAAJA
24. BEST LYRICS: DUM LAGA KE HAISA -- VARUN GROVER,
SONG: MOH MOH KE DHAGE
25. SPECIAL JURY AWARD: MARGARITA WITH STRAW -- KALKI KOCHLIN
26. BEST CHOREOGRAPHY: BAJIRAO MASTANI -- REMO D’SOUZA, SONG: DEEWANI MASTANI
27. BEST SPECIAL EFFECTS: BAAHUBALI -- V. SRINIVAS MOHAN
28. BEST FEATURE FILM IN EACH OF THE LANGUAGE SPECIFIED IN THE SCHEDULE VIII OF THE CONSTITUTION
a) BEST ASSAMESE FILM: KOTHANODI -- Producer:
ANURUPA HAZARIKA, Director : BHASKAR HAZARIKA
b) BEST BENGALI FILM: SHANKHACHIL -- Producer: NIDEAS CREATIONS & PRODUCTIONS PVT LTD., Director : GOUTAM GHOSE
c) BEST HINDI FILM: DUM LAGA KE HAISHA -- Producer: MANEESH SHARMA & YASH RAJ FILMS, Director : SHARAT KATARIYA
d) BEST KANNADA FILM: THITHI -- Producer: PRSPCTVS PRODUCTIONS PVT LTD., Director : RAAM REDDY
e) BEST KONKANI FILM: ENEMY -- Producer: A DURGA PRASAD, Director: DINESH P. BHONSLE
f) BEST MALAYALAM FILM: PATHEMARI -- Producer: ALLENS MEDIA, Director: SALIM AHAMED
g) BEST MARATHI FILM: RINGAN -- Producer: MY ROLE MOTION PICTURES, Director: MAKARAND MANE
h) BEST ODIYA FILM: PAHADA RA LUHA -- Producer: MOHAPATRA MOVIE MAGIC PVT. LTD., Director: SABYASACHI MOHAPATRA
i) BEST PUNJABI FILM: CHAUTHI KOOT -- Producer: NFDC & KARTIKEYA SINGH, Director: GURVINDER SINGH
j) BEST TAMIL FILM: VISAARANAI -- Producer: WUNDERBAR FILMS, Director: VETRI MAARAN
k) BEST TELUGU FILM: KANCHE -- Producer: Y. RAJEEV REDDY, Director: RADHA KRISHNA JAGARLAMUDI (KRISH)
l) BEST SANSKRIT FILM: PRIYAMANASAM -- Producer: BABY MATHEW SOMATHEERAM, Director: VINOD MANKARA
m) BEST MAITHILI FILM: MITHILA MAKHAAN -- Producer: NEETU CHANDRA & SAMIR KUMAR, Director: NITIN CHANDRA
n) BEST MIZO FILM: KIMA’S LODE BEYOND THE CLASS --
Producer: CHILDREN’S FILM SOCIETY, Director: ZUALAA CHHANGTE
o) BEST MANIPURI FILM: EIBUSU YAOHANBIYU -- Producer: YUNMAN HITALAR (NETA) SINGH, Director: MAIPAKSANA HAORONGBAM
29. BEST FEATURE FILM IN EACH OF THE LANGUAGE SPECIFIED OTHER THAN SCHEDULE VIII OF THE CONSTITUTION
a) BEST WANCHO FILM: THE HEAD HUNTER -- Producer: SPLASH FILMS PRIVATE LIMITED, Director: NILANJAN DATTA
b) BEST HARYANVI FILM: SATRANGI -- Producer: PUNAM DESWAL SHARMA, Director: SUNDEEP SHARMA
c) BEST KHASI FILM: ONAATAH -- Producer: POMU DAS- MARJINA KURBAH, Director: PRADIP KURBAH
d) BEST BODO FILM: DAU HUDUNI METHAI -- Producer: SHANKARLAL GOENKA, Director: MANJU BORAH
30. SPECIAL MENTION
a) SAIRAT -- RINKU RAJGURU -- CERTIFICATE
b) SU SU SUDHI VATHMEEKAM & LUKKA CHUPPI -- JAYASURYA -- CERTIFICATE
c) IRUDHI SUTTRU -- RITIKA SINGH -- CERTIFICATE
1. BEST NON FEATURE FILM: Amdavad Ma Famous --
Producer: Akanksha Tewari & Arya A. Menon, Director: Hardik Mehta
2. BEST DEBUT FILM OF A DIRECTOR: Daaravtha -- Producer: Nishantroy Bombarde, Director: Nishantroy Bombarde
3. BEST ANTHROPOLOGICAL/ ETHNOGRAPHIC FILM: Aoleang -- Producer: Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Stuidies, Director: Ranajit Ray
4. BEST BIOGRAPHICAL/ HISTORICAL RECONSTRUCTION:
Life in Metaphors: A Portrait of Girish Kasaravalli -- Producer: Reelism Film, Director: O.P Shrivastava
5. BEST ARTS /CULTURAL FILM: 1. A Far Afternoon- A Painted Saga -- Producer: Piramal Art Foundation, Director: Sruti Harihara Subramanian AND 2. Yazhpanam Thedchanamoorthy -Music Beyond Boundaries -- Producer: Siddhartha Productions,
Director: Amshan Kumar
6. BEST PROMOTIONAL FILM (to cover tourism, exports, crafts, industry etc): Weaves of Maheshwar -- Producer: Storyloom Films, Director: Keya Vaswani & Nidhi Kamath
7. BEST ENVIRONMENT FILM INCLUDING AGRICULTURE:
1. The Man who Dwarfed the Mountains -- Producer: Rajiv Mehrotra, PSBT, Director: Ruchi Shrivastava & Sumit Sunderlal Khanna AND 2. God On The Edge -- Producer: Elements Picture Studio, Director: Ashok Patel
8. BEST FILM ON SOCIAL ISSUES: Auto Driver -- Director: Longjam Meena Devi, Producer: Oinam Doren & Longjam Meena Devi
9. BEST EDUCATIONAL FILM: Paywat -- Producer: Mithunchandra Chaudhari, Director: Nayana Dolas & Mithunchandra Chaudhari
10. BEST EXPLORATION/ ADVENTURE FILM (TO INCLUDE SPORTS): Dribbling with their Future -- Producer: N. Dinesh Raj Kumar & Mathew Varghese, Director: Jacob Varghese
11. BEST INVESTIGATIVE FILM: Tezpur 1962 -- Producer: Films Division, Director: Samujjal Kashyap
12. BEST ANIMATION FILM: Fisherwoman and TukTuk -- Producer: Nilima Eriyat, Director: Suresh Eriyat, Animator: Studio Eeksaurus Productions Private Limited
13. SPECIAL JURY AWARD: In Search of Fading Canvas -- Producer: Films Division, Director: Manohar Singh Bisht
14. BEST SHORT FICTION FILM: Aushadh -- Producer: Amol Deshmukh, Director: Amol Deshmukh
15. BEST FILM ON FAMILY VALUES: Best Friends Forever --
Producer: Syed Sultan Ahmed (Edumedia India Pvt. Ltd.), Director: Sandeep Modi
16. BEST DIRECTION: Kamuki -- Director: Christo Tomy
17. BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: Benaras- The Unexplored Attachments -- Cameraperson: Amartya Bhattacharyya
18. BEST AUDIOGRAPHY: Edpa Kana -- Audiographer:
19. BEST EDITING: Breaking Free -- Editor: Parvin Angre and Sridhar Rangayan
20. BEST MUSIC: A Far Afternoon- A Painted Saga -- Aravind - Shankar
21. BEST NARRATION/ VOICE OVER
1. Mala Laj Watat Nahai -- Narrator: Harish Bhimani
2. Arangile Nithya Vismayam Guru Chemancherry Kunhiraman Nair - Narrator: Aliyaar
22. SPECIAL MENTION:
1. The Chameleon -- Director: Arun Shankar
2. Amma -- Director: Neelan
3. Syaahi -- Drector: Varun Tandon
BEST WRITING ON CINEMA
Best Book on Cinema: DR. RAJAKUMAR SAMAGRA CHARITHRE -- Writer: DAHULLURU RUKKOJI, Publisher: PREETI PUSTAKA PRAKASHANA
Special Mention: Forgotten Masters of Hindi Cinema -- Satish Chopra
Best Film Critic: MEGHACHANDRA KONGBAM