Nisha Biswal, Priti Patel among 30 honoured with Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Awards 2017
Bengaluru, January 9, 2017
British Secretary of State for International Development Priti Patel and United States Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asian Affairs Nisha Desai Biswal are among those who were honoured with the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Awards 2017 here yesterday.
The awards were announced at the 14th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) Convention held here and presented by President Pranab Mukherjee during the valedictory session.
Among the other awardees were non-resident Indian (NRI) businessmen Vasudev Shroff of Dubai and the India Social and Cultural Centre, Abu Dhabi, both in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) for community service.
The following is the list of awardees:
1. Dr. Gorur Krishna Harinath, Australia - Community Service
2. Mr. Rajasekharan Pillai Valavoor Kizhakkathil, Bahrain - Business
3. Antwerp Indian Association, Belgium - Community Service
4. Mr. Nazeer Ahamed Mohamed Zackiriah, Brunei - Community Service
5. Mr. Mukund Bhikhubhai Purohit, Canada - Business
6. Mr. Nalinkumar Sumanlal Kothari, Djibouti - Community Service
7. Mr. Vinod Chandra Patel, Fiji - Social Service
8. Mr. Raghunath Marie Antonin Manet, France - Arts & Culture
9. Dr. Lael Anson E. Best, Israel - Medical Science
10. Dr. Sandip Kumar Tagore, Japan - Arts & Culture
11. Mr. Ariful Islam, Libya - Community Service
12. Dr. Muniandy Thambirajah, Malaysia - Education and Community Service
13. Mr. Pravind Kumar Jugnauth, Mauritius - Public Service
14. Mr. Antonio Luis Santos da Costa, Portugal - Public Service
15. Dr. Raghavan Seetharaman, Qatar - Business Management
16. Ms. Zeenat Musarrat Jafri, Saudi Arabia - Education
17. Singapore Indian Association, Singapore - Community Service
18. Dr. Carani Balaraman Sanjeevi, Sweden - Medicine
19. Mr. Susheel Kumar Saraff, Thailand - Business
20. Mr. Winston Chandarbhan Dookeran, Trinidad & Tobago - Public Service
21. Mr. Vasudev Shamdas Shroff, United Arab Emirates -Community Service
22. India Social and Cultural Centre, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates - Philanthropy and Community Service
23. Ms. Priti Patel, United Kingdom - Public Service
24. Ms. Neena Gill, United Kingdom - Public Service
25. Mr. Hari Babu Bindal, USA - Environmental Engineering
26. Dr. Bharat Haridas Barai, USA - Community Service
27. Ms. Nisha Desai Biswal, USA - Public Affairs
28. Dr. Mahesh Mehta, USA - Community Service
29. Mr. Ramesh Shah, USA - Community Service
30. Dr. Sampatkumar Shidramapa Shivangi, USA -
The PBD conventions have been held every year since 2003 and have been honouring overseas Indians and persons of Indian origin (PIOs) since the first edition. Last year, the Government decided to hold the event once every two years and, accordingly, the number of awards has been doubled to 30.
The Jury-cum-Awards Committee can also make upto six suo motu nominations for persons from the fields in which the awards are to be conferred. This year, the jury also considered overseas Indians' contribution for achievements in philanthropic investments and charitable work in India and for contribution towards India’s development.
Vice-President M. Hamid Ansari was the chairman of the Jury-cum-Awards Committee for Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Awards (PBSA) and External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj its vice-chairman.
Other members of the committee included Mr. Swapan Dasgupta, Member of Parliament, Rajya Sabha; Principal Secretary to Prime Minister; Dr. S. Jaishankar, Foreign Secretary; Mr. Rajeev Mehrishi, Home Secretary; Mr. Satish Chandra, former Ambassador of India to the USA; Ms. Indra Noooyi, CEO, Pepsico; Mr. Yusuf Ali M.A. Managing Director, Lulu Group of Industries, UAE; Mr. Shyam Parande, Secretary, Antar Rashtriya Sahyog Parishad; and Mr. Dnyaneshwar M. Mulay, Secretary (OIA & CPV), Ministry of External Affairs, who was the Member Secretary.