ADVERTISEMENT

CBI takes up probe of alleged malpractices in Rajya Sabha election in Jharkhand

ADVERTISEMENT

The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) today said it had registered a case in connection with the alleged malpractices in last month's Rajya Sabha election from Jharkhand, which was later rescinded by the President on the recommendation of the Election Commission.

The CBI has taken up the probe on a reference from the Election Commission after the Jharkhand High Court had asked the Commission to get the allegations of malpractices investigated by the agency.
 
A CBI press release said searches were conducted yesterday at 12 places in Ranchi, Jamshedpur, Chaibasa, Daltonganj, Jamtara and Deoghar.
 
"Documents recovered during searches are being scrutinized. Further Investigation is continuing," the release added.
 
The Election Commission has, meanwhile, announced that the election will now be conducted on May 3 for the two Rajya Sabha seats from the state.
 
The March 30 election was rescinded after allegations of horse-trading and use of unfair means and the seizure of Rs 2.15 crore in cash from a car belonging to the brother of one of the candidates.
 
NNN
 
ADVERTISEMENT
© Copyright 2012 NetIndian. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of NetIndian content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of NetIndian Media Corporation. Write to info[AT]netindian[DOT]in for permission to use content. Read detailed Terms of Use.