ADVERTISEMENT

Four charred to death in Tamil Nadu as LPG cylinder explodes

ADVERTISEMENT
Four members of a family were charred to death when they were fast asleep following an explosion in a liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) cylinder in their house at Kuthiraisarikulam village in Tirumangalam taluk near here today.
 
Police said the victims were identified as J Veerapandi (37),  his wife V Selvi (32), their daughter V Darshini (7) and son V Nandakumar (4).
 
Preliminary investigations revealed that the burner's knob was not turned off properly and there was gas leakage throughout the night. 
 
The fire apparently broke out due to a spark caused by an electrical short circuit, leading to the explosion, the police said.
 
All the four inmates of the house, who were sleeping, were charred to death. The house was also gutted. Veerapandi was running a rice mill in the village.
 
On information, senior police officials and personnel of Tamil Nadu Fire and Rescue Services department rushed to the village and took the bodies to the government hospital here for autopsy. Further investigation was on, police added. 
 
NNN
 
ADVERTISEMENT
© Copyright 2012 NetIndian. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of NetIndian content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of NetIndian Media Corporation. Write to info[AT]netindian[DOT]in for permission to use content. Read detailed Terms of Use.