1 killed, 4 hurt as two wild elephants run amok in Mysore


Two wild elephants, a mother and its male calf, created havoc this morning after straying into this City of Palaces in Karnataka, attacking people, killing one person and injuring four, including a woman who was in serious condition.

The two elephants, separating from their herd, entered the city after travelling all the way from a forest near T Narasipur in the district, 40 km away from the city.

The people of the city woke up this morning to the loud trumpeting of wild pachyderms that entered the city from Bannimantap in the north.

The mother elephant and its calf were also separated from each other once they entered the city.

The young one, an eight-year-old male, was terrified as it entered downtown Sayaji Rao Road as people who gathered started pelting stones and tried to chase it.

The elephants also killed two heads of cattle and damaged a few vehicles as they ran hither and thither in the heart of the city.


The calf started attacking people and trampled to death 55-year-old Renuka Prasad, a security guard working at a shopping complex on Narayana Shastry Road.

It went on attacking as people kept on pelting it with stones and raised a hue and cry.

Later, forest officials rushed to the spot and shot tranquilisers repeatedly and caught the young one after a five-hour long operation.

Three tame elephants were requisitioned from the Mysore Palace and the young calf was caught with ropes and taken to a farm on the outskirts of the city, where it was being treated for minor injuries.

The Forest Department officials, numbering over 100, are trying to capture the mother elephant which had entered a farm house on the outskirts of the city.

Both the mother elephant and her calf would be taken to either Nagarhole or Bandipur National Parks and set free, forest officials said.

The mother elephant continued to move around the farm house at Naidu Nagar.


The authorities clamped ban orders in the areas where the elephants were sighted and asked people not to come out of their homes even as the young ones ran along the roads with the Forest Department personnel and policemen who were chasing the calf to transqulise it.

A one-day holiday was announced for the schools in the area.

Meanwhile, Karnataka Forest Minister C H Vijyashnakar visited the spot and then went to the home of the deceased to console his family.

In Bangalore, Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa, who ordered an inquiry into the incident, announced a compensation of Rs 5 lakh to the next-of-kin of the deceased.


© Copyright 2012 NetIndian. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of NetIndian content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of NetIndian Media Corporation. Write to info[AT]netindian[DOT]in for permission to use content. Read detailed Terms of Use.