ADVERTISEMENT

96 new cases of influenza A (H1N1) in India

As many as 96 new cases of influenza A were reported from different parts of India today, with Pune, the worst-hit city in the country, accounting for 37 of them.

Besides, 12 cases were reported from Delhi, 16 from Mumbai, 10 from Bangalore, six from Gurgaon, four each from Hyderabad and Chennai, three each from Kolkata and Mangalore and one from Kozhikode.

With these, the total number of laboratory-confirmed cases of the virus reported so far from India has risen to 711, an official statement said.

In Pune, 36 of the 37 new cases were contacts of previously-reported case. The 37th case was of a six-year-old boy who arrived recently from Thailand.

All the 12 fresh cases in Delhi and five out of the six in Gurgaon are contacts of previously reported cases. One of the cases in Gurgaon, a 33-year-old man, had arrived on August 1 from Singapore.

In Mumbai, 14 of the new cases are contacts of previously-reported cases as are all ten in Bangalore. The two other cases in Mumbai are a 12-year-old girl and her 14-year-old sister who arrived from the United States on August 5.

In Mangalore, two of the three new cases have returned recently from Malaysia, while the third is a contact of one of the two.

In Hyderabad, three of the new cases are a 34-year-old man who arrived from the US, a 23-year-old man who returned from Bangkok and a 23-year-old youth who returned from Malaysia. The fourth case in the city is a contact of a previously reported case.

In Chennai, two cases, a 47-year-old man and a nine-year-old boy, are members of a family who arrived from the US. The third case arrived from the United Kingdom, while the fourth is a contact case.

Of the three cases in Kolkata, two cases, a six-year-old girl and a 27-year-old youth, do not have any travel history. The third case  is a 22-year-old Japanese youth who arrived in Kolkata on July 31.

The lone case in Kozhikode is a 27-year-old man who arrived on August 4 from Dubai, the statement said.

Meanwhile, Union Health Secretary Naresh Dayal told a press conference in the national capital that there was no cause for panic because the country had enough testing facilities and adequate stocks of medicines to cope with the emerging situation. He also said the government was adding to these facilities.

His comments came as people in Pune turned up in their hundreds to get tested for the virus, putting a strain on the government hospitals in the city. The panic in Pune followed the death a few days of a 14-year-old girl of swine flu. Some educational institutions in the city have closed down for a week after some of their students reported tested positive for the virus.

NNN

© Copyright 2012 NetIndian. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of NetIndian content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of NetIndian Media Corporation. Write to info[AT]netindian[DOT]in for permission to use content. Read detailed Terms of Use.